Position Available: Country Coordinator/Country Facilitator in Kosovo
The Roma Education Fund’s (REF) mission and ultimate goal is to close the gap in educational outcomes between Roma and non-Roma. In order to achieve this goal, the organization supports policies and programs which ensure quality education for Roma through scholarships, grant making and advocacy activities. The objectives of REF include:
• Expanding Romani children’s access to quality early childhood education and care
• Improving primary education outcomes for Romani children aged six to fourteen
• Boosting academic performance and graduation rates from secondary education for Romani pupils
• Supporting access to tertiary education, improving graduation levels and strengthening identity of Romani university students
• Expanding employment opportunities for young Romani adults
The Roma Education Fund operates its activities in close links with civil society and institutional partners in 16 countries of Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe.
Candidate Profile: The Roma Education Funds seeks a candidate to act as Country Facilitator for its Grant Program activity in Kosovo, and as Country Coordinator for REF’s tertiary education Scholarship Program (REF SP), in close cooperation and under the supervision of REF headquarters office in Budapest.
Main tasks according to Grants Program-related work:
- Develop, plan, and organize grant program-related events;
- Review and assess letters of inquiry and make funding recommendations and declinations to the Program Officer;
- Invite grant proposals from selected funding applicants;
- Stay abreast of developments in the field, through research and participation in relevant conferences and/or meetings;
- Provide facilitation to potential applicants to develop and finalize grant proposals, work with applicants to develop and finalize grant proposals and provide comments and recommendation to the Program Officer keeping with the program’s overall strategy and budget as part of grant document preparation process;
- Perform site visits of prospective and current grantee organizations implementing REF-funded projects and/or programs;
- Provide grants facilitation through site visits and review of narrative and financial reports;
- Ensure that grantees submit narrative and financial reports as required under the terms of the contract;
- Interact with grantees and other field professionals and participate in program-and field-related meetings and convenings;
- Disseminate, comment strategy/position papers that provide direction on education policy issues impacting the field and/or offer suggestions about strategic program development for REF and grantees;
- Perform special assignments, including participation with other REF programs and foundation task forces and working groups;
- Identify joint programming opportunities, and join efforts with external funders and partners;
- Build and establish strategic relationships with education institutions and/or other related institutions, philanthropic partners and NGOs.
Main tasks according to the Scholarship Program-related work:
- Cooperation with SP staff in the program planning process and implementation, that includes: program announcement, program outreach and awareness raising information campaign, conferences and trainings, conducting eligibility checking of submitted application, assistance in the evaluation, personal interviews, and selection process;
- Cooperation in the preparation of Program materials and their translation;
- Keeping an accurate record of all program-related correspondence and inquiries, and informing REF SP staff timely of all these;
- Assisting students with relevant information and guidance in the process of completing and submitting their scholarship applications;
- Assistance to National Selection Board members in their process of evaluation, in order to ensure compliance with the set schedule and deadlines.
- Travel requirements: nationally, and internationally;
- Perform other work-related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree /BA or equivalent degree; advanced degree preferred;
- Two to three years of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in grant making, project management, including managing consultants and developing and managing project budgets;
- NGO experience is essential;
- Strong experience in project monitoring and evaluation tools (M&E);
- Sound understanding of the higher educational programs, relevant policy frameworks and their implementation;
- Work experience in academic /educational program administration and coordination;
- Experience and competencies in working in a multicultural environment;
- Extensive program administration and planning skills, experience in operating with databases;
- Strong background with programs advancing education through community organizing, legal advocacy, research or policy reform work.
- Working efficiently in a fast-paced environment, troubleshooting and following projects through their successful completion, with strict deadlines and without loss of attention to details, budgetary requirements, monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Effectively work as a team member, as well as independently, with a high-level of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the education system in Kosovo and in the region, and the level of inclusion of Roma in the education system in Kosovo;Good knowledge of key organizations and education networks active in the field;
- Good command of the English language (written and spoken), and of the country language;
- Knowledge of Romani language is considered an added value;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good listening and communication skills, with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Good communication skills with high sensitivity to cultural differences;
- Good level of computer usage proficiency (e.g. Microsoft Office package: Word, Excel, Outlook, and experience with Internet, and research and database management);
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with colleagues and general public;
- Driver license is considered an added value.
- Challenging and diverse tasks;
- Working with a dynamic team of NGOs and Government officials;
- Working and learning in an international level environment;
- Benefits from training in country, and in REF headquarters office in Budapest.
Start date: ASAP
Compensation: Commensurate with the experience.